How to erase acne scars?
Acne breakouts are frustrating no matter how old we are, but so are the scars that acne can leave! The good news is that acne scars can be treated to remove them, or at least to reduce them.
This article presents the best remedies and natural treatments to remove acne scars.
1. The different types of scars
There are different types of acne scars, and before you can treat them, you need to identify them. Atrophic scars are more common on the face. An atrophic scar creates a depression in the skin. They form when not enough collagen is produced during wound healing.
Hypertrophic, or raised, scars are more common with chest and back acne. They appear above the skin’s surface and are caused by excess collagen during healing.
Acne can also leave dark spots. This staining left after a pimple is gone is not a scar. Purple, red or brown markings will usually fade on their own.
2. Treatments for acne scars at the dermatologist
If you have easy access to the services of a dermatologist, they can offer you some effective treatments to remove your acne scars:
- Dermabrasion: One of the most effective treatments for acne scars, this treatment is done using a wire brush to deeply exfoliate the top layer of the skin.
- Chemical peel: A chemical peel is performed with a strong acid that is used to remove the top layer of the skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Laser resurfacing: Just like chemical peels and dermabrasion, laser resurfacing removes the top layer of the skin. This treatment generally has a faster healing time than other resurfacing treatments.
Other treatments are also offered by dermatologists, including various filler injections or even minor surgeries for certain more serious cases.
3. Treat acne scars at home
If for some reason you prefer to treat your acne scars on your own, there are an array of over-the-counter drug treatments you can try.
However, if you have sensitive skin, consult a dermatologist or pharmacist before using these anti-scarring products.
Alpha hydroxy acids
Some of the most popular are creams made from alpha hydroxy acids, and are readily available over the counter. These mild acids exfoliate the outer layer of the skin to help remove discolorations and soften rough skin.
Topical retinoids are another acne treatment that has a smoothing effect on scars. In addition to speeding up cell regeneration and improving skin texture, retinoids can also help reduce discoloration and lessen the appearance of scars.
Salicylic acid best working in cleaning pores, reducing swelling and redness, and exfoliating the skin when applied topically. It is considered to be one of the best treatments for acne scars.
4. Natural solutions to treat acne scars
Many will prefer natural solutions to heal themselves, and the same goes for the treatment of scars left by acne. While these solutions may take longer to clear acne scars, with a little patience they can help improve the appearance of your skin.
Aloe gel: thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, aloe gel could help you in the treatment of your acne scars. Apply it directly to the scars and leave on for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
Buy Aloe Vera gel Amazon
- Soothing and natural aloe vera
- Moisturizing and nourishing for the skin
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
Baking soda: If your scars are shallow, use baking soda as an exfoliant. To do this, wet your face then apply it by rubbing gently with your fingertips and rinse with lukewarm water. For those with sensitive skin, it is best to do this treatment only once a week.
Buy Baking, House Net on Amazon
- Many possible uses
- To care for, clean and cook
- TOP quality price
Rosehip Oil: Having the ability to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars, Rosehip Oil can be applied as an overnight treatment.
Buy Rose oil on Amazon
- Hydrates, nourishes and reduces scars
- Help against scars and stretch marks
- For skin and hair
Fresh lemon juice: the whitening effect of lemon will be helpful for those who also have dark spots caused by acne. Soak a cotton swab in fresh lemon juice and apply it to the spots. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse.
5. Homemade Skin Tonic Recipe
Take advantage of the exfoliating effects of tomato and anti-inflammatory effects of cucumber by making your own tonic lotion to treat acne scars.
- In a blender, add a whole tomato and half of a cucumber.
- Operate the blender until a liquid consistency is obtained.
- To use the tonic lotion, apply it with a cotton ball on the affected skin.
6. Homemade mask to treat acne scars
How about a natural remedy for removing acne scars? This natural mask will help you reduce acne scars in addition to improving the appearance of your skin.
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil
- 2 tablespoons of goat’s milk
Mix all the ingredients well, and apply the mask to the skin of your face. Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat the treatment every day for at least a week for a good result on the scars.
7. Mask based on honey and aspirin
Since aspirin contains salicylic acid, it can be used to treat acne scars. In addition, by reducing it to a powder, it can be used to exfoliate your skin.
- 2 aspirins
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- A few drops of water
Here’s how to achieve this natural acne scar treatment:
- Reduce the aspirin to a powder, just fine enough to take advantage of an exfoliating effect.
- Add honey and a few drops of water to make a paste.
- Apply to the skin by rubbing gently, leave to act for about fifteen minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.