Milia or whiteheads – this is what cosmetologists call dense formations under the skin, the result of blockage of the sebaceous glands. Small, often located points on the wings of the nose, temples, as well as around the eyes and lips, are almost impossible to disguise with cosmetics, and they give the skin a sloppy, unkempt look. Milia are strictly forbidden to squeeze out, but you should not let the situation take its course – an unpleasant phenomenon will not disappear by itself. Learn how to remove whiteheads from the nose at home.
Causes of whiteheads
Whiteheads from the nose are popularly called millet for its resemblance to a scattering of small cereals. Unlike acne, whiteheads appear gradually and are almost invisible at first. Over time, they grow, become convex, and at this stage, many ladies are tempted to squeeze out a noticeable formation with their fingertips or pierce it with a sharp object. The results of these manipulations will be the penetration of bacteria under the skin and the inflammatory process. Completely removing milia by mechanical action will not work.
To choose the right strategy for dealing with whiteheads on the face, you need to establish the cause of their appearance. Here is a list of possible factors:
- Low-quality decorative cosmetics;
- Neglect of personal hygiene, the habit of sleeping with makeup;
- Wrong nutrition. Spicy and fatty foods, black coffee, pastries, chocolate provoke the release of sebum;
- Sedentary work, lack of physical activity;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, thyroid gland, heart, liver, gallbladder;
- Hormonal disorders;
- Seborrhea, dermatitis, other skin diseases;
- Elevated blood cholesterol levels;
- Living in an area with poor ecology;
- Long-term use of potent drugs, especially antibiotics;
- Alcohol abuse, smoking;
- Frequent exposure to ultraviolet radiation on the skin of the face;
It is unlikely that it will be possible to quickly remove whiteheads on the face: even if the problem is caused by external factors, it will take several weeks to eliminate it. If the reason lies in health problems, you can not do without consulting your doctor.
Read More: Acne scar, treatment and natural remedies
How to remove whiteheads yourself?
Not everyone has the opportunity to regularly use the services of a cosmetologist. But this does not mean that you need to put up with the appearance of whiteheads from the nose. For home care, products purchased at a pharmacy are suitable:
- Zinc ointment, Teymurov’s pasta, Zinokap, where the active ingredient is zinc, which gives a drying effect;
- Antibacterial drugs, if the whiteheads are filled with pus: erythromycin and clindamycin ointments, Metrogyl-gel;
- Azelaic acid and products based on it: Skinoren, Isis, Adelik;
- Tar preparations: Vishnevsky’s ointment, tar paste, Terbizil.
In advanced cases, when white dots do not have an exact localization, but spread throughout the face and cannot be treated with the means listed above, the doctor may prescribe ointments with retinoids – Klenzit, Adapalen. It is not recommended to prescribe them to yourself, the duration and intensity of therapy can only be determined by a specialist.
At the initial stage of the formation of whiteheads, delicate home remedies can remove them. But if the problem has become pronounced, it is unlikely that it will be possible to remove milia with herbal infusions and homemade masks, let these remedies become an addiction to drug therapy:
- Cosmetic clay (blue, pink, green). Dilute one tablespoon of the powder with cold boiling water to a thick slurry, add a few drops of lemon juice. Apply the mask to dry, cleansed skin of the face and wait for it to dry completely (about half an hour). Rinse with warm water, apply anti-inflammatory cream;
- Egg white. You can use chicken or quail eggs. Separate the protein from the yolk, beat with a whisk in a strong foam. Spread over the skin, after drying, apply a second layer, etc. The total duration of the mask is 20 minutes. The last layer should dry well, until the feeling of tightness on the face. Wash off the composition with water at room temperature, use your favorite cream;
- Kefir and gelatin. Mix half a teaspoon of gelatin with 20 ml of medium-fat kefir, leave for 15 minutes to swell. After applying this mask to the face, it is recommended to cover it with polyethylene. Wash off the composition from the skin after a quarter of an hour without using foam;
- Honey and lemon. Home remedy for oily skincare. Combine in a small bowl 1 teaspoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and the same amount of oatmeal. After a few minutes, when the mixture swells, spread it over clean, dry skin of the face, avoiding the area around the eyes. The recommended duration of action is 15 minutes, but if a burning sensation occurs, the product must be washed off immediately;
- Yeast and hydrogen peroxide. Mix 25 g fresh (raw) yeast and 1 tbsp. a spoonful of hydrogen peroxide, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. You will get a plastic viscous mass – it should be applied to problem areas and left for 20-25 minutes. Wash off with cool water and apply a soothing cream;
- Paraffin. A mask with white paraffin will help to deeply cleanse the pores at home. Before applying, it is important to completely cleanse the face of sebum, otherwise the mask will not “adhere” to the skin. For this purpose, any lotion containing alcohol is suitable. The procedure looks like this: melt 50 g of paraffin in a water bath and apply on the face in several layers. Paraffin must not be hot! Carefully remove the frozen mask from the bottom up.
After applying any of the masks at home, as well as after morning and evening washing, it is useful to wipe your face with an infusion of chamomile or calendula. Healing herbs will prevent inflammation, tighten enlarged pores.
Prevention of whiteheads
Once and for all, it is difficult to remove whiteheads from the nose, milia tend to return when health deteriorates and immunity decreases. To reduce this likelihood to a minimum, you need to take preventive measures:
- Regularly check the hormonal background and undergo medical examinations for secretly leaking detection of chronic diseases;
- Monitor the level of cholesterol in the blood;
- Refuse to visit the solarium, when going out in the sun, use a cream with a UV filter;
- Carefully choose decorative cosmetics, abandoning quantity in favor of quality;
- Adhere to proper nutrition, that is, give up fast food, fried and smoked foods, sweet carbonated drinks.
- Increase consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits;
- Quit smoking, give up alcohol;
- Spend as much time as possible outdoors, play sports;
- Residents of large cities and ecologically disadvantaged areas are recommended to regularly, once a year, cleanse the body of toxins with the help of herbal preparations and special preparations (strictly as directed by a doctor).
These simple rules will help remove whiteheads from the nose at home if they have appeared recently and their size does not exceed 3 mm. Large milia that go into the deep layers of the epithelium will have to be removed in a beauty salon or even surgically.
Also Read: How To Get Rid Of Textured Skin?