How to lighten your hair naturally yourself?
Colored or natural hair, did you know that it is possible to lighten hair in a natural way. Salt, lemon, honey, sun… What is the best homemade lightning product?
Here are the best recipes and masks to lighten your hair naturally at home.
1. Before you start to lighten your hair
Not all hair reacts the same way to lightening products. Some hair will take on orange hues that you might not like at all.
Do a test on a small section of hair to start!
It is therefore strongly recommended to do a test on a lock of hair and on a part of your hair that is less visible.
In addition, it can be more difficult to lighten chemically colored hair with natural methods. Again, do a strand of hair test to make sure everything is working fine before you lighten all of your hair.
2. Lighten her hair with lemon
Lemon juice is a natural lightener that will help you achieve beautiful strands and lighten all of your hair naturally.
Here is a homemade recipe to lighten her hair with lemon juice:
- Add the juice of 3 fresh lemons in 1/4 liter of lukewarm water.
- Apply the lotion all over the hair or if you prefer to lighten a few strands, use a dye brush.
Leave the lemon mask on your hair for 2 hours before rinsing it off with warm-cold water.
Depending on the degree of lightening desired, you may need to do a second treatment. To lighten the hair properly, repeat it every week for a month.
3. Lighten her hair with chamomile
Chamomile is often used in shampoos for people with blond hair, as it can help lighten hair and bring nice golden highlights.
However, it can very well be used as is, as an infusion or as a decoction on your hair:
- Chamomile infusion: Pour a cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile. Leave to infuse for ten minutes before filtering the solution.
- Chamomile decoction: Use the same amounts of water and chamomile, but bring the mixture to a boil in a saucepan. Let boil for about twenty minutes before filtering.
In both cases, shampoo and apply the solution to your hair. This method does not require rinsing and will help lighten hair naturally.
4. Cinnamon to lighten the hair
Cinnamon is ideal when you want to lighten naturally dark hair. Cinnamon will give charming, natural-looking copper highlights to the hair.
So here’s how to use cinnamon on hair:
- Cinnamon Lotion: Make a paste by combining powdered cinnamon and lukewarm water. Apply to damp hair, cover it and leave it on overnight.
- Cinnamon Mask: For this recipe, you will need 1 tbsp of cinnamon, 4 tbsp of honey, and 1 tbsp of argan oil. Combine all the ingredients and apply the mask to your hair. Cover them and leave to act overnight.
- Cinnamon Conditioner: Combine 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and the amount of conditioner you usually need to cover your hair in a bowl. After shampooing, apply to damp hair. Cover them and let sit overnight.
5. Lighten hair with salt and sun
It is well known that salt water combined with sun exposure gives hair beautiful natural highlights.
The sun is without a doubt one of the best tips for natural hair lightening this summer!
To get a similar result without going to the seaside, here’s how:
- Combine sea salt with water in a spray-type bottle.
- Mix well to dissolve all the grains of salt in the water.
- Spray the solution on your hair and expose yourself to the sun for a sunny afternoon.
In the evening, shampoo as usual to complete the trick.
Simple, fast and efficient as a trick!
6. Lighten her hair with a honey mask
Besides being gentle on the hair, honey can help you achieve beautiful golden highlights naturally.
Here is a simple recipe for a lightening mask made with honey:
- Combine 4 parts honey with 1 part apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar all over the hair
- Cover your hair with a cap or towel.
- Leave on for an hour before rinsing the hair well to finish.
7. Hair lightening mask recipe
How about trying another recipe with several 100% natural ingredients? So for this treating and brightening mask recipe, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon of conditioner
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply to damp hair. Leave on for 1 hour then rinse well.
This is a great homemade mask recipe to help lighten hair naturally!
8. How to lighten colored hair
If the result of a color is too dark, there are some ways to lighten it slightly without using chemicals.
Here is how to lighten colored hair:
- With baking soda: First, get yourself some lightening shampoo. Then, mix 2 glasses of baking soda and ¼ glass of shampoo. Wet your hair with hot water and apply the mixture all over the hair. Leave on for a maximum of 15 minutes and rinse well. If the result is not satisfactory, repeat the treatment for another 15 minutes.
- With vitamin C tablets: Crush 15-20 vitamin C tablets in a bowl and add enough shampoo to make a paste. Mix well with a whisk and apply to wet hair with hot water. Leave on for 1 hour and rinse well with cold water.
- With hydrogen peroxide: Add hydrogen peroxide to a spray bottle and apply all over the hair. Leave on for 15 minutes, then rinse. As this can dry out the hair, follow with a moisturizing mask.