How to wash your hair properly? Washing your hair is a routine thing like brushing your teeth and it is done without giving it much thought. Washing your hair properly can have surprising results, including improving its health and appearance.
While how often you wash your hair depends on your hair type and the products you use, there are specific techniques. Here are my tips and tricks for washing your hair properly.
1. Choose the right shampoo for your hair
To wash your hair properly, you first need to choose the right product. Indeed, it is necessary to use a shampoo adapted to our type of hair.
There are shampoos for all hair types:
- greasy hair
- dry hair
- curly hair
- thick hair
Plus, it’s worth paying a little extra for quality shampoo. A good shampoo will wash your hair properly, and give you the best results.
2. Brush your hair before washing it
To prepare your hair properly for washing and shampooing, brush it first.
This will remove much of the styling residue and detangle your hair while getting rid of dead hair.
3. Wash your hair at the right temperature
Many wash their hair at too high a temperature. For best results, but above all so as not to attack your hair and scalp.
Instead, wash them in lukewarm water, and rinse with cool water to finish cleaning.
4. How do I rinse my hair well?
The best way to rinse your hair well is to use cool water. Rinsing your hair with cool water stimulates blood circulation, while sealing the hair cuticle and leaving your hair smooth and shiny.
Make sure you remove any shampoo or conditioner residue by letting the water run through your hair, and wringing it out with your hands a few times during rinsing.
You’ll know you’ve rinsed your hair well when the water is clear and your hair will make that typical squeaking sound when you run your hands over it.
5. Hair washing steps
Do you want to know how to wash your hair properly? Here are the few steps to follow for best results:
- Make sure you are using the best shampoo for your hair type and remove styling residue residue from your hair by brushing it before washing.
- Wet your hair with lukewarm water so that it is completely damp. Gently wring out the excess. Add a dime-sized amount of shampoo to your palm – about a dab of volume should be enough for short to medium hair, but to wash long hair well, adjust this amount accordingly.
- Apply the shampoo directly to the roots of your hair and massage your scalp. Pay special attention to the neck area, as this is often overlooked. Once your roots are well covered, use the mousse to gently massage the shampoo to the ends of your hair.
- Rinse the product completely from your hair with lukewarm water. Gently wring out your hair with your hands several times while rinsing.
- For long hair, curly hair, or hair that is dry or frizz-prone, use a suitable conditioner. Use an appropriate amount and apply to the ends of the hair. Use your fingers and work gently down to the roots. Rinse it off with cool water.
- To avoid damaging your hair, gently wring it out and wrap it in a towel. Do not rub your hair with the towel, this may damage it and negate the effects of a good wash.
6. The frequency of washing the hair
Many wash their hair once or twice a day, which is far too often.
In fact, it is recommended to wash your hair no more than 3 times a week. Indeed, the more we wash our hair, the more oil it produces to protect itself.
7. How to wash your hair naturally?
If you are looking for an alternative to chemicals, know that there are ways to wash your hair naturally. Here are two tips for washing your hair without shampoo:
Washing your hair with baking soda
To wash your hair with baking soda here are the important steps:
- Take 2 tablespoons of fine baking soda and add a little water to it to make a paste.
- Massage your hair with this paste and rinse thoroughly.
- To finish, do a second rinse but with a glass of water to which you will have added 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar.
Washing your hair with clay
To wash oily hair well, you can use a dry clay shampoo. Just apply it to her hair, lightly massage the roots and scalp, then brush to remove residue.
8. How to wash long and thick hair properly?
Like most people, you probably wash your hair in the shower while standing.
But if you have long, thick hair, the best way to wash your hair is upside down. This position facilitates washing at the hair roots and the nape of the neck and allows better rinsing in depth.